234,938 Vauxhall Zafira B cars will be recalled again over a problem which has caused the cars to go up in flames. This is despite a recall in December 2015 over the same problem.
The first recall was to correct issues arising from improper repairs which had been carried out to the blower motor resistor and its thermal fuse. Now they will be installing new wax fuse resistors, blower motors, and mouldings to fix issues arising from rust.
This is amid claims of a cover up by Vauxhall and evidence that fires are still occurring after the first round of repairs.
London Fire Brigade say they have attended 14 Vauxhall Zafira fires, and 120 fires since 2013.
Both recalls are free for car owners, and the company will soon start contacting customers with more information soon. In the meantime, Vauxhall is recommending drivers who have not yet had the work from the first recall completed should still take their cars to dealerships.
If you are driving a Vauxhall Zafira then you need to remain aware and use common sense when you’re in the car. For example, if you are using the heating and you smell burning, then switch it off straight away.
But a car fire could, unfortunately, happen to any car at any time.
When you see smoke coming from your car as you’re driving, then you should immediately stop the car and get out. With everyone assembled a safe distance from the car, call the fire brigade.
It’s a good idea to have an in-car fire extinguisher. That allows you to react to a small fire and stop it from escalating if possible.
Having a multi-purpose dry powder or foam spray extinguisher will allow you to do so safely. And keeping it in the boot means you’re forced to get out of the car, rather than staying inside.
To do this, you release the bonnet and then you can spray the extinguisher around the edges and through the radiator grille to help contain it. But use with caution.
It’s also great to have a warning triangle on board. That way, you can warn oncoming traffic of the danger ahead of them to prevent further incident.
Generally, by keeping your car well maintained you can help to prevent a car fire from occurring in the first place. And make sure you act as soon as possible to any recalls you are contacted about.
35% of car fires are accidental. However, the remaining 65% are fires started deliberately. So you can also help to protect your car by leaving it in safe places, locking doors and closing windows, hiding property left inside the car, and fitting anti-theft devices.
So make sure you’re taking action to prevent yourself becoming a victim of a car fire; after all, there are around 300 a day. But also be prepared, should the worse ever happen.