Cheshire firefighters were called to a campsite fire believed to have been caused by a leaking gas cylinder.
The crew from Northwich attended the fire at the Delamere Forest campsite, and one person was treated at the scene by paramedics.
A VW campervan was involved and had to be cooled by the fire crew with a hose. Luckily, it caused no serious damage.
A leak from an LPG cylinder and regulator are thought to have caused the fire.
Camping season is soon upon us again. Hopefully, your tents are still weatherproof and you can remember where you put the sleeping bags.
But to ensure your holiday goes smoothly, be safe to prevent fire or any other accidents.
First of all, when pitching your tent or parking your caravan, do so at least 6 metres away from others. Not only does this give you all a little privacy, but helps prevent a fire spreading between one-another.
When you can’t see at night, turn on a battery-powered torch or lantern rather than lighting candles in or near tents. Often, they’re brighter and you won’t accidently burn down your home away from home.
And when dinner time approaches, you must cook outside and not in a small tent. Not only is it a fire risk, but will also cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Opening the tent door isn’t going to be enough to prevent a build-up of CO.
This is the same advice whether you’re using a barbecue, using a gas cooker or making a campfire. And make sure to keep it outside as well. Bringing it in after you’ve used it is just as dangerous. A barbecue will remain hot and produce CO gas for hours after you’ve finished.
You should avoid taking oil-burning appliances with you, as it presents an unnecessary risk. And any flammable liquids or should get kept outside the tent, at a distance.
So when writing your camping checklist, you need to add a few extra items to stay safe. And remember to tick them off as you pack the car. There’s nothing worse than forgetting something important.
A carbon monoxide alarm is a must which gets kept in the tent. That way, it will give you plenty of warning before any build-up of CO reaches a dangerous level. Even cooking too close to the tent can still mean fumes enter.
Plus a fire extinguisher will mean you have something you can quickly put out a fire with. That means you’re prepared should you cooking get out of control, or a fire started accidentally.
And don’t forget to take torches with you. There’s nothing worse than fumbling for the toilets in dark in unfamiliar territory.