A video has gone viral of the moment a man accidentally blows up his garden. The incident happened as he tried to light a pile of rubbish with the help of a highly flammable ingredient.
It is thought the man used petrol to try and speed along the process.
In the video, the German is hesitant before starting the fire with lighted sticks. The pile then immediately explodes with a large boom. The garden is left in a complete wreck with fire strewn everywhere.
You can watch the video for yourself here. But please, do not try this at home.
The reasons for why this man dramatically set fire to this pile of rubbish may never be known.
Back home, autumn is now here, and it won’t be long before we’ll all soon be clearing our gardens of all the wilted summer blooms. However, perhaps it’s best to find a safer way of disposing of the rubbish.
The best solution, if possible, is to take the garden rubbish to the local recycling centre.
Bonfires are a common method for disposing of garden waste. And if you really must make a bonfire of it, you need to do so sensibly and safely. Otherwise, it can have extreme consequences.
Of course, there are rules in place when it comes to bonfires. You cannot burn household waste which will cause pollution or harm people’s health. And you must be aware of the dangers smoke can cause if it were to drift across a road.
Fires can spread easily, so it’s important that you pay particular attention to where and how you build a bonfire. Don’t use petrol or paraffin to help get things going. As you see, it can get out of control quickly.
And in this instance, so much flammable material had been used that the lighted stick ignited the vapours before even coming into contact with the rubbish. This resulted in an explosion.
When the material is dry, it is likely to burn quite easily anyway. And doing so when the material is damp will a cause a lot more smoke.
Make sure any bonfires you may build are well away from sheds, fences, and trees, or anything else which could easily catch fire.
And just in case of emergencies, it’s a good idea to have a bucket of water or a garden hose handy. That way, you can quickly react.
Of course, when using flammable liquids, using water may only worsen the fire. And as such, only a foam or powder extinguisher are safe to use.
With a bonfire alight, don’t leave it burning unattended. Also keep children and pets well away. And once the bonfire has died down, make sure it is fully extinguished and cool the embers with water.
However, if you’re looking for an alternative way of getting rid of your garden rubbish, you could also compost the waste yourself.