Ever wondered what exactly fire marshal duties entail? Have you wondered whether or not you should take on the duties of a fire marshal?
We’ll address these questions and more in the hope of educating you about what a fire marshal does.
Fire Marshals Among The Crowd
The great thing about fire marshals is that you couldn’t pick one out of a crowd. Many can obtain fire marshal training online and tuck away their knowledge until it’s needed. A fire marshal’s duties only emerge during a fire emergency-the very situation which they have been trained for.
As an employee at your company, a member of your church, or a student at your college; you can receive fire marshal training online and it’s great to put on your CV. This puts a lot of responsibility on your shoulders, but it’s a great privilege to take on the position of fire marshal wherever you find yourself. Some of these responsibilities will be discussed further below.
Fire marshal duties include educating others on fire safety issues. By passing on their knowledge, general fire safety spreads awareness across businesses and homes and fire safety procedures improve.
Inspecting the Premises
The benefits of having a fire marshal present should make you feel a lot safer. That’s because fire marshals are trained to be observant when it comes to fire safety issues. Among fire marshal duties, the following inspections are regularly made:
- Making sure that fire extinguishers are accessible and properly fitted to their designated areas.
- Ensuring that safety signs are all clearly visible so that fire escapes can be easily spotted in case of an emergency.
- Check fire exit doors regularly to make sure they are in working order.
- During a fire, it is the fire marshal’s duties to make sure that everyone evacuates the premises in an orderly fashion with as little panic as possible.
Fire marshal training online should include the teaching of how to handle firefighting equipment. For a fire marshal to effectively do what he or she was trained to do, the following equipment must be available on the premises:
- One of the most important things to keep everyone calm during a fire emergency is to see that someone is in control of the situation. If a fire marshal has on a Hi-Vis Fire Marshal Vest, people are more likely to listen to him or her and panic less.
- A megaphone is another great way to directly communicate with a large crowd. If there’s a lot of noise, a fire marshal’s voice will create calm and garner order.